CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, November 29, 2008

Why I let my children believe in Santa Clause

When I was a girl I remember believing in Santa clause. I remember the magical happiness I felt from it. Even when I figured out Santa was not real we still pretend that he was real for tradition. When my kids realize he is not real I plan to start a new tradition, to be Santa to other not so lucky children. I want them to pick out a child on the angle tree and be their Santa. Of Course I will still get them something but this will teach the spirit of giving. I don't believe it takes away from Christs birth, but instead enhances the experience. The reason Santa is there is to help an innocent child see the magic of Christmas. Life as an adult is hard and painful, and serious. A child that believes in Santa is innocent and believes in magic. They have their hole adult life to be serious.



It's good to believe in Santa, says psychiatrist


Believing in Father Christmas helps boost children's mental development and social skills, a psychiatrist claimed today.
The festive ritual of exchanging presents associated with Father Christmas also helps develop a child's sense of charitable giving as well as their consideration of others less fortunate than themselves, according to Dr Lynda Breen from Alder Hey hospital in Liverpool.
She accepted that some parents believe that promoting the myth of Father Christmas is deceitful and promotes materialism.
Parents, she said, had to weigh up the benefits of maintaining the fantasy against the day that their child discovers Father Christmas does not exist.
Writing in the latest issue of Psychiatric Bulletin she said: "Whether or not the fable is a threat to the child's trust is to be decided by each parent.
"On balance the tale of Santa Claus is a powerful tool that may serve to nurture social and cognitive development, particularly in a technological society where children mature earlier."
A child's belief in Father Christmas was also an act of faith and many youngsters draw parallels between him and God, she said.
But she argued although they might question their belief in God when they find out Father Christmas does not exist, they do not lose their faith in the long term.
She said: "Their capacity for faith in a higher, transcendent power is not lost just because Santa proves to be mortal."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How ironic the same night I had the talk with sadie!! Sadie started to cry, and I told her the story of how santa clause started she thought that was cool and now she is happy. That's a good idea about the angel tree I should try to do that!!!

BROOKE said...

Amber, I learned Santa was not real when I was in the 1st grade. But we pretended that he was still real mom still put presents under the tree after I went to bed. I new the truth but was happy to believe in him in fun. I'm real excited about the angel tree when mine are old enough. That's the real spirit of christmas is giving.

Anonymous said...

YEAH THE WHOLE SANTATHING IS FUN NOW YOUR RIGHT SADIE CAN LEARN THE TRUE MEANING OF CHRISMAS!!!